The definition of an ‘operating system’ is bound to evolve with customer demands and technological possibilities.Virginia Postrel
An operating system is system software program that coordinates the operations of computer hardware and software.
The operating system acts as a bridge for the interface between the user and machine.
The following are the most popular operating systems
- Mac OS
- Apple’s iOS.
- Free BSD.
- Chrome OS.
In today’s post, we’re only going to talk about the 3 most popular computer operating systems namely, Linux, Windows and Mac OS simply because they’re the most powerful systems commonly available and they power 99% of the computing devices.
Table of contents
- Why Linux is better
I do get my pizzas paid for by Linux indirectly.Linus Torvalds
Linux is an open-source Unix-like operating system based on the Linux kernel. It was first released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds.
Linux operating system comprises of;
Bootloader – This is software that manages the boot process of your computer.
Kernel – This is the core of the operating system and manages the CPU, memory, and peripheral devices.
Graphical server – This is the sub-system that displays the graphics on your monitor. Each desktop environment includes built-in applications (such as file managers, configuration tools, web browsers, and games).
Applications – These are computer program designed to carry out specific tasks other than one relating to the operation of the computer itself, . Most modern Linux distributions have platforms from which you can download computer applications.
Init system – this is the first process started during booting of the computer system. Init is a daemon process that continues running until the system is shut down.
Daemons – a daemon is a computer program that runs as a background process, rather than being under the direct control of an interactive user(printing, sound, scheduling, etc.) that either start up during boot or after you log into the desktop.
|1. Linux is an open Source software. This means its source code is easily available for everyone. Anyone capable of coding can contribute, modify, enhance and distribute the code to anyone and for any purpose.|
2. Linux is more secure in comparison to other operating systems such as Windows.
3. Linux is easy to customize, i.e you can add or delete any feature according to your need since it is an open source O.S. 4. Linux is freely available for download on the internet . You don’t need to have any license for it since it’s free.
5. Linux is More stable and rarely freezes or require a warm boot.
6. Linux ensures the privacy of user’s data. This is so because it never collects much data from the user while using its distributions or software.
7. Linux is compatible with a large number of file formats.
8. Linux is a multitasking operating system. This is so because it can perform many tasks at the same time without slowing down in it’s performance.
9. Linux is easy to install. This is because it can easily be found and installed from the web without any license requirements.
10 Linux provides high performance on various networks and workstations. It can allow many users to work simultaneously
Microsoft is not about greed. It’s about innovation and fairness.Bill Gates
Microsoft Windows is a graphical User Interface kind of operating system developed and published by Microsoft. It provides a way to store files, run software, play games, watch videos, and connect to the Internet.
This software was first introduced with version 1.0 on November 10, 1983 under Microsoft Corporation founded by Bill Gates with his friend Paul Allen.
Microsoft since then has gone ahead to release the following versions of windows
- Windows 1 and it’s subsequent versions
- Windows 2 and it’s subsequent versions
- Windows 3 and it’s subsequent versions
- Windows 95
- Windows NT 4
- Windows 98
- Windows 98 second version
- Windows 2000
- Windows me
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8 and it’s subsequent versions
- Windows 10 and it’s subsequent versions
- Windows 11
The following are the parts of windows O S
Title Bar: It is a horizontal Bar at the top of the window.
Frame: This surrounds the window, when you point the mouse to one of the edges or corners.
Taskbar: It shows which programs are currently running.
My computer button: This appears at the bottom left corner of the window and it helps one to get access to all hidden apps
Control Menu: Each window has a control menu, at the left hand top corner, which contain commands for manipulating the Window. i.e. moving, resizing, maximize, minimize etc.
Menu Bar: It contains the titles of pull down menus.
Work Space: Workspace is the blank portion of a window where content can be viewed
Scroll Bars: These scroll bars enables scrolling the contents in the workspace. Generally, there are two scroll bars to a window. A vertical scroll bar at the right hand edge of the window and a horizontal scroll bar at the button of the window. horizontally and vertically.
Restore Button: The window size can be restored to previous size by clicking restore button.
Close Button: This button is located at the right hand top corner of the window. It is in most cases an “X” appearing in a red box
Recycle Bin: This acts as a temporary storage for recently deleted items before they’re permanently deleted from memory
Control Panel: Control panel utility facilities setting up of the hardware components in the system, configuration of network, adding new hardware to the system etc.
By the way, if you get mad at your Mac laptop and wonder who designed this demonic device, notice the manufacturer’s icon on top: an apple with a bite out of it.peter kreeft
MacOS or Macintosh Operating System is a computer operating system specifically designed for Apple desktops and laptops. It was first released on March 24, 2001 by Apple Inc.
It is a closed source software though with some open source components.
The following are the versions of MacOS sofar released
- Mac OS 10.14: Mojave- 2018
- MacOS 10.13: High Sierra- 2017
- MacOS 10.12: Sierra- 2016
- OS X 10.11: El Capitan- 2015
- OS X 10.10: Yosemite-2014
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks-2013
- OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion- 2012
- OS X 10.7 Lion- 2011
- OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard- 2009
- OS X 10.5 Leopard- 2007
- Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger- 2005
- Mac OS X 10.3 Panther- 2003
- Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar- 2002
- Mac OS X 10.1 Puma- 2001
- Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah- 2001
- Public Beta Kodiak/Cheetah- 2000
And the following are the parts of the Mac os
Core OS. The Darwin Core is based on Berkeley Software Distribution version of Unix. Mach is the main part of the Darwin core and it performs operations such as memory use, data flow from and to CPU etc.
Graphics Subsystem. It contains three main parts i.e. Quartz, OpenGL and QuickTime.
Application Subsystem. The application subsystem in Mac OS X provides the classic environment to run classic applications.
User Interface. Aqua is the user interface of Mac OS X. It provides good visual features as well as the tools to customize the user interface as per the user requirements.
|Advantages of MacOS Operating System|
|1. Spectacular performance.|
2. Very neat design.
3. Dedicated hardware and software.
4. MacOS is completely stable.
5. Higher productivity.
6. Less or no viruses
7. Mac is compatibility with Windows
Why Linux is better than windows & MacOS
Linux as an open source software has been considered to be a better operating system than the two more popular operating system softwares i.e windows & MacOS because of the following points.
- It’s more secure than the others.
- It’s a free software unlike Macintosh OS and Microsoft windows.
- Linux users have access and control over updating their systems.
- Better user privacy unlike with mac and windows which occasionally collect user data
- It’s portable software
- Task automation is possible and easy to set up in Linux
Basing on all the above collected information, Linux has proved to be a better operating system. More is coming…
Soccer ⚽ fans, feel free to passby Betzone Universal Predictions